Hello, I’m Vimal. I develop scientific software and also teach, write, and speak on topics involving Linux, Python programming, and open source software.
If you would like to talk to me, you can drop into my virtual office for 10 minutes. Join me using this link or click on the Call now button below.
For over 9 years, I supported research groups in biological sciences with their computational and programming needs.
During this time, I had installed and managed Linux servers, databases, web applications, and websites, developed software as part of a team, and published packages on PyPI, Anaconda, Galaxy Tool shed, OBS and Docker hub.
I’m a Linux user for 20+ years. Feel free to get in touch with me, if you need help getting started. I organized Linux meetups in Cork (2017-2018).
I am a member of the UCC Indian Alumni Community. I write content and manage the community website.
- May 25, 2021
- Published Linux for Biologists — A Cookbook. You can get it from Leanpub, Amazon or Gumroad.
- Feb 18, 2021
- Seafile tutorial on DigitalOcean is now updated for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
What I’m working on at the moment.
A ready-to-use virtual machine for teaching and learning Bioinformatics.
Please visit my software page for a complete list.
Talks and tutorials
- May 27, 2020 • Pint of Science, Ireland
- Python with Me, Tech me out at home 2020. Slides (html) and a related blog post.
- Oct 30, 2018 • Linux Cork 4
- Review of KDE Plasma desktop.
- May 15, 2018 • Pint of Science, Ireland
- An open source voice assistant. Slides (pdf).
- Oct 26, 2017 • Cork Linux Meetup #3
- Setup your own cloud server on DigitalOcean Slides (pdf).
- Sep 28, 2017 • Cork Linux Meetup #2
- A short review of the GNOME desktop environment. Slides (pdf).
- Aug 2017 • Cork Linux Meetup #1
- This is my Linux story.
- Oct 2011 • PyCon Ireland
- Beginning GUI design using PyQt (tutorial).
- How to sync and share your files with Seafile on Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Debian 9 and Debian 10.
- Jan 2006
- WW2D – the world at your fingertips, Linux For You, India.
- Sep 2005
- Dressing up Linux like Windows, Linux For You, India.
- Feb 2005
- Remastering Knoppix 3.3, Linux For You, India.
Unless otherwise specified, the content of this website is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license.